I have been having a lot of fun with wheat flour these days. With the new little one at home we have been cooking and baking up a storm with whole grains and whole wheat, which are so good for little and big tummy’s. Not only that but you can’t beat the flavour. There is just something about the rich almost floral aroma and flavour of fresher made whole wheat goods. Top with margarine and it’s irresistible!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cups all-propose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups tepid water (or until dough is desired texture
- 3/4 cup active sourdough starter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Mix ingredients together in a stand mixer with bread hook attachment. Mix until fully combined and then mix on low seed for 10 mintiest.
- Turn and fold dough into a ball with lighted floured hands and cover bowl with a warm moist towel let rise for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours turn and fold again, and seam-side up in the bowl, let rise for another 3 hours.
- After the second rise, heavily flour a sheet parchment paper on a cookie sheet and gently shape the dough into a ball. Heavily flour the top of the dough and rest for 1 hour.
- Before the 1 is up but leaving enough time to allow the oven to preheat before the timer goes off preheat over 450°F degrees
- Once the timer goes off and the oven is ready make a slash at the top of the loaf with a razor blade or serrated knife/ make one to two deep slashes in the loaf and several small slashes in the design of your choice or three deep slashes if you don’t want to make a design. (The slashes help the dough to rise when the other crust gets hard.
- Replace a large bowel over the top of the bread and bake for 12-15 minutes.
- After 12-15 remove the lid and continue baking for another 13-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Let bread cool at 30 minutes before cutting. Serve warm.
Thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy. Feel free to leave a question or comment below and I will answer back. Happy baking! 🙂